A very popular large bushy plant which spreads up to 30" bears from 1 to 3 lbs of purplish- black mildly bitter, oval fruit measuring approximately 6" by 5". It can be grilled, stuffed, baked, roasted, pickled, mashed, and dried.
How to Grow Black Beauty Eggplant
- Latin Name: Solanum melongena var. esculentum
- Days to Maturity: 70-90
- Hardiness Zone: 5- 12
- Soil: Ph 5.6 to 7, warm
- Temperature: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Depth: 1 1/2"
- Plant Space: 18"
- Row Spacing: 2'
- Pests/disease: Aphids, whiteflies and leafhoppers.
- Seed Count:
- 1 oz- Approximately 6,500 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 25,600 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 102,400 Seeds
Eggplants grow best in well-drained loamy soil with plenty of added organic matter and heavy water. It may be necessary to provide the plant with a support structure of some sort due to the weight of the fruit.