American Flag Leek plants produce a semi-sweet, mild, onion-like tasting, white stalk with green leaves.
How to Grow American Flag Leek
- Latin Name: Allium ampeloprasum
- Days to Maturity: 130- 140
- Hardiness Zone: 3- 9
- Soil: Rich
- Temperature: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Depth: 1/4"
- Plant Space: 6"
- Row Spacing: 6"
- Pests/disease: downy mildew, maggots and thrips
- Seed Count:
- 1 oz - Approximately 9,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 36,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 144,000 Seeds
Leeks should be grown in moist, fertile soil and blanched. Blanching during the growing cycle can be done by building up a mound of dirt around the stalks. Harvest the leeks as soon as they reach the desired size.