Charleston Gray Watermelons grow up to 24 inches long and weigh a whopping 30 pounds! This varieties thick rind makes it a perfect shipping melon.
How to Grow Charleston Grey Watermelon
- Latin Name: Citrullus lanatus
- Days to Maturity: 90-120
- Hardiness Zone: 3-12
- Temperature: Warm
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Depth: 1/4-1/2"
- Plant Space: 6-8'
- Row Spacing: 8-12'
- Pests/disease: Resistant to anthracnose and fusarium wilt
- Seed Count:
- 1 oz- Approximately 200 seeds
- 4 oz- Approximately 800 seeds
- 1 lb- Approximately 3,200 seeds
Watermelons need rich soil, sun and lots of space to grow. Once fruit begins to grow on the vines the plant will only require watering if the soil dries out completely. Watermelons are ready to harvest when the small tendril nearest the fruit turns brown and dries out.