A member of the Chicory family, this greenish-yellow leafy green has a mildly bitter taste to its curly leaves which can be used fresh or cooked and is often found in salads.
How to Grow Frisee Endives
- Latin Name: Cichorium endivia var. crispum
- Days to Maturity: 55
- Hardiness Zone: All
- Soil: Ph 5.6 to 7.0
- Temperature: Cooler
- Light Preference: Full sun or partial shade
- Depth: 1/8"
- Plant Space: 12"
- Pests/disease: Slugs
- Seed Count:
- 1 oz- Approximately 18,250 Seeds
- 4 oz- Approximately 73,000 Seeds
- 1 lb- Approximately 292,000 Seeds
Keep the soil moist and evenly watered. Harvest when leaves reach approximately 5 to 6 inches tall. Endive can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks and can be frozen, canned or dried.