Hearts of Gold will produce, per plant, an average of 5 to 7 fruits. Round, juicy, sweet fruit which can weigh between 2- 3 lbs. The aromatic fruits have a tasty orange flesh with a rough greenish rind covered by a tan netting.
How to Grow Hearts of Gold Melon
- Latin Name: Cucumis melo var. cantalupensis
- Days to Maturity: 85- 90
- Hardiness Zone: 3- 9
- Soil: Ph 6.5 to 7.5
- Temperature: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Depth: 1/2"
- Plant Space: 2-3'
- Row Spacing: 4-6'
- Pests/disease: Resistant to alternaria, powdery and downy mildew, blight
- Seed Count:
- 1oz- Approximately 1,000 seeds
- 4oz- Approximately 4,000 seeds
- 1lb- Approximately 16,000 seeds
When planting, it is encouraged to have the soil be a minimum temperature of 70 degrees. Around midsummer it is recommended that any smaller fruit or blossoms be pinched from the vine in order to allow the larger fruit the maximum amount of nutrients and water possible. When ready for harvesting the melons will turn a golden tan color and easily detach from the vine.