Purple Orach is popular as a micro-green as well for it's use as a decorative plant. Also known as Mountain spinach, French spinach, and Giant Lambs quarters.
How to Grow Purple Orach
- Latin Name: Atriplex hortensis, L.
- Days to Maturity: 45- 60
- Hardiness Zone: 11
- Soil: Ph 5.6 to 7.8
- Temperature: Cooler
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Depth: 1/4"
- Plant Space: 1-2"
- Row Spacing: 18"
- Pests/disease: Aphids
- Seed Count:
- 1 oz - Approximately 7,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 28,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 112,000 Seeds
Orach tolerates both hot and cold weather but is generally planted in the early spring. When the plant reaches approximately 1 foot tall you may begin harvesting the leaves. Continuous harvesting will assist in boosting the production of, young leaves.