Rutger's is a determinate tomato plant which produces the perfect canning tomato. This variety has semi-flat crack resistant fruit that weighs on average 7 ounces. With it's perfect balance of sweet flavor and acidity this is a great tomato for eating fresh as well.
How to Grow Rutger's Tomatoes
- Latin Name: Solanum lycopersicum
- Days to Maturity: 75-95
- Hardiness Zone: 3-12
- Temperature: Warm
- Light Preference: Full sun or partial shade
- Depth: 1/4"
- Plant Space: 2'
- Row Spacing: 2'-4'
- Pests/disease: rot, birds
- Seed Count:
- 1oz- Approximately 10,000 Seeds
- 4oz- Approximately 40,000 Seeds
- 1lb- Approximately 160,000 Seeds
Tomatoes require rich, loose soil and even watering. While vine ripened tomatoes will have the best flavor, all tomatoes should be harvested before the first frost, even the green ones as they will eventually ripen if kept indoors and out of the direct sun light.