This brightly colored red onion has a very glossy and smooth surface once it reached full maturation. The onion itself has a fine grained and tender texture and a milf but delicious flavor making it great for adding to salads, salsas, or even just drying.
How to Grow Southport Red Globe Onion
- Latin Name: Allium cepa
- Hardy Biennial
- Days to Maturity: 100-110
- Hardiness Zone: 3-11
- Soil: Moist and well drained
- Temperature: Cooler
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Depth: 1/4"
- Plant Space: 1/2"
- Row Spacing: 2-6"
- Pests/disease: Onion maggots and basal rot
- Seed Count:
- 1oz- Approximately 9,200 seeds
- 4oz- Approximately 27,000 seeds
- 1lb- Approximately 113,000 seeds
Southport Red Globe onion is of the red variety of onions that produces a medium sized bulb. This variety is best to be planted in late winter to early spring. This variety is drought tolerant but it is important to keep the soil moist to receive the best possible germination. It takes between 5-10 days for germination and between 100-110 days for the onion to reach full maturity.