This variety of onion grows a perfectly round pearly white bulb with a smooth outer skin. Southport white globe onions have a stronger flavor than other varieties which make them good raw or cooked. This variety grows well in most any regions and is tolerant to heat.
How to Grow Southport White Globe Onion
- Latin Name: Allium cepa
- Days to Maturity: 75-120
- Hardiness Zone: 5-9
- Soil: Moist, well drained
- Temperature: Cool to warm
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Depth: 1/8-1/4"
- Plant Space: 5-6 "
- Row Spacing: 12"
- Pests/disease: Thrips and bulb rot
- Seed Count:
- 1oz- Approximately 17,000 seeds
- 4oz- Approximately 68,000 seeds
- 1lb- Approximately 117,000 seeds
This variety of onion thrives well in a variety of regions which makes it great for just about anyone to grow. It is best to plant in early spring with and to keep the soil moist until germination which is roughly 8-14 days after planting. It is important to remember when harvesting to not pull the onion until the tops begin to yellow otherwise the onion may not have reached full maturity.