Delicata is a winter squash which has an oblong shape with a creamy white color and green stripes which run the length of the fruit. and a sweet-potato like flavor.
How to Grow Delicata Squash
- Latin Name: Cucurbita pepo
- Days to Maturity: 100
- Hardiness Zone: 8- 10
- Soil ph: 6.0 to 6.8
- Temperature: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Depth: 1"
- Plant Spacing: 24-48"
- Row Spacing: 6-12'
- Pests/Diseases: Cucumber beetles, squash bugs, and vine borers. Powdery mildew, downy mildew, bacterial wilt, and phytophthora
- Seed Count:
- 1 oz.- Approximately 430 Seeds
- 4 oz.- Approximately 1,720 Seeds
- 1 lb.- Approximately 6,900 Seeds
Delicata produces fruit which are up to 10 inches long. This variety of winter squash has a thinner skin which tends to reduce the amount of time you are able to store them.