This sleek glossy mustard grows dark green spoon shaped leaves with white stems. Tatsoi is very easy to grow and quick to germinate. This leafy green is high in nutrients making it a great addition to any meal. Its mild flavor makes it especially great for salads and stir-fries.
How to Grow Tatsoi Mustard
- Latin Name: Brassica rapa var narinosa
- Days to Maturity: 30-45
- Hardiness Zone: 1-13
- Soil: well drained and well fertilized
- Temperature: Cooler
- Light Preference: Full sun or partial shade
- Depth: 1/4 "
- Plant Space: 6"
- Row Spacing: 18-24 "
- Pests/disease: Slugs and flea beetles
- Seed Count:
- 1oz- Approximately 13,900 seeds
- 4oz- Approximately 47,100 seeds
- 1lb- Approximately 189,000 seeds
This is cold hardy variety of mustard so planting during the cooler seasons is acceptable. Use straw mulch to keep soil around plats moist. The ideal time to harvest is when the plants leaves are tender and young. If you are looking for more of a bitter flavor then wait to harvest until a little after plant is fully mature.