A versatile plant that tolerates both warm and cool temps and can be planted in either full sun or partial shade. The Detroit Dark Red beet is an annual vegetable ready for harvest in approximately 55 days. The greens are often enjoyed fresh or sautéed.
Growing Detroit Dark Red Beets
- Days to Maturity: 55 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-10
- Planting Depth: 1/2"
- Plant Spacing: 1"-3"
- Row Spacing: 12"
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil: Ph 6 to 7, moist, light soil
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full sun or partial shade
- Pests/diseases: Aphids & Flea beetles/ Resistant to beet scab
- Seeds Per Package:
- 4 oz - Approximately 5,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 20,000 Seeds
Also known as beetroot and blood turnip, They grow well in cool weather. They can be bottled, pickled, canned or froze. Rich in Iron, Calcium, and Vitamins: A, B1, B2, C, and Niacin.